April 20, 2009
Davis goes in depth about commitment
This past weekend at Syracuse University was extremely busy. The Orange coaches had to deal with their evaluations during the spring game as well as hosting a number of 2010 prospects. With all they had to do this weekend the coaches were very successful, they had a solid spring game and landed two commitments.
Myles Davis, 6-foot-2, 220 pounds was making his second trip to Syracuse and the two trips proved to be all he needed to make his decision and pick the Orange. Picking Syracuse was one of the most exciting things Davis has ever done.
"It was one of the most exciting times of my life. That is a huge step that many people do not get to make. I am just happy to be part of the Syracuse Orange."
Going into the visit there was a chance for a commitment and last week Davis told CuseConfidential.com there was about a 75 percent chance. What did he see on his trip that made up the other 25 percent?
"Mainly it was the campus life. The campus was real nice and I was told about how it would look in the winter and the summer. They showed me all the buildings when I was there and all the studies they have. I was also reading a whole booklet of the minors and majors they have and they are just things that I am really interested in. A lot of it really was the spring game. I was watching the linebackers and I was liking the way that they were playing. They are going to be seniors when I come up and then they will be gone, so I will be able to take the reigns my sophomore year. It is a good opportunity to play early.'
Last week they Keystone State product talked about wanting to see a lot of fan support and the Orange faithful did not let him down.
"The fan support was crazy. After the game the players were sitting around signing autographs and the fans got to talk with them and the coaches. The fans just seemed really into the team. I like a team with a solid fan base because that keeps me playing and keeps me charged."
With the visit showing Davis all he needed to see the next step from him was his commitment. When he told Dan Conley he was ready the one time Orange linebacker was happy to have another Pittsburgh area linebacker on board.
"He was real happy. He is looking forward to me coming to school and coaching me. He wants to make me the best linebacker I can be."
Even though Conley is the coach who recruited Davis there were still a couple conversations that took place with Doug Marrone.
"I called Coach Conley and Coach Shafer and they put me on the phone with Coach Marrone and my Dad got a chance to speak with him as well. We had a great conversation, he also talked to me in his office for a good half an hour before I committed."
Committing to the school was the best part of the trip for Davis, but he also enjoyed a few other items that the school had to offer him this weekend.
"I think it was going to the Carrier Dome and going around the campus. I mean because that is where I am going to be living and I got to see the dorms and see where my classes are going to be. Overall the trip was just the greatest part for me."
On the trip to Syracuse and over the time that he has been recruited by the Orange one item stuck out as the most important factor for his commitment to Syracuse and that was the coaching staff.
"The coaches, it had to be the coaches they were just so truthful and so open with me about their situation and what was going on with the team and the chances I had of playing after I committed," Davis said. "I think it is going to be great. Coach Marrone is definitely turning things around. I was talking to some other players and they see a difference already."
Now that he knows he is headed to college to play football there is one thing that Davis needs to work on to make sure he is ready for the next level.
"I am going to have to get faster and adjust to the speed of the game. Right now my weight is pretty decent and Coach Conley said that there should not be much work with that."
The future Orange linebacker has over a year before he actually makes it on campus, but he is excited and he wants to let the Orange fans know that he is a hard working never give up kind of player.
"They are definitely going to get an aggressive football player that leaves it all out on the field. You wont question how hard I work. I am very hard working."
...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now for a FREE Trial